Immunohematology Reference Laboratory (IRL)
OKC: 405-297-5654, Fax: 405-297-5639 Tulsa: 918-477-0445, Fax: 918-477-0446
Fort Smith: 479-452-5861, Fax: 479-452-0572
Feel confident in the services of our renowned IRL lab:
- 1 of less than 60 AABB-accredited reference labs in the world and the only one in Oklahoma
- 25,000 rare donors in our IRL database for availability of rare units at all times
- 3 locations – Oklahoma City, Tulsa & Fort Smith
- Staffed 24/7 by certified medical technologists (MT)
- Directed by a board certified specialist in blood banking (SBB)
- Led by medical directors who are board certified in Transfusion Medicine
- Available to member hospitals at any time for consultation
A Clinical Laboratory Request for Consultation form should be completed for each test ordered.
- Follow proper phlebotomy techniques defined by your facility.
Tube Labeling Requirements
- Patient’s first and last name
- Social Security number or MR# (same identifier must be used on both specimen and request form if tagged, cross matched units are requested)
- Specimen collection date and time
- Phlebotomist initials
Specimen Storage and Transport Requirements
- Place properly labeled specimens in a biohazard bag.
- Place requisition in the outside pocket of biohazard bag.
- Call the Clinical Laboratory to request specimen pick-up. (contact information above)
Specimen acceptability and rejection
- Specimens should not be drawn into serum separator tubes.
- Send specimens unprocessed. Specimens should not be separated into other tubes.
- Specimens should be free of hemolysis. Grossly hemolyzed specimens will be rejected.
- Specimens should be full tubes. If there is not adequate volume of specimen, a resubmission fee will be charged.